Welcome to Year One
The children have really settled into the year one routine now and we have seen the impact of this in the high standard of work they are producing. The children have had some fantastic learning opportunities since being in year one and are thriving in this setting!
As we begin the Spring term, we will continue to follow the National Curriculum and our school Curriculum Maps. Our mornings consist of Maths, Phonics and Curriculum learning. We link all our learning to a range of exciting topics which engage the children and immerse them in fun learning opportunities.
Our curriculum topics this half term include;
– The children will be learning all about toys from the past and comparing them with toys that we use currently. The children will have the opportunity to play with toys from the past and generate some questions to ask people who have played with these toys as children.
-The children will be creating their first class time line – placing themselves on it amongst the toys that we study.
- We will also be sorting artefacts and pictures of toys into appropriate groups.
Science (animals including humans)
– Children will have the opportunity to learn about the 5 senses in detail and to match the sense to the appropriate body part.
- The children will also be learning about the names of other body parts such as arm, leg and chest.
- We will also be taking part in a scientific experiment using a range of scientific equipment!
- In Mathematics, we will be continuing our work with addition and subtraction. We will be introducing a range of methods to add and subtract including apparatus, pictures and number sentences. We will also be introducing some word problems with addition and subtraction.
- We will then move onto focusing on numbers from 11-20. We will focus on how to form and count these numbers correctly.
Phonics is the gateway to the world – good phonetic knowledge and the ability to read enables great things! Daily phonics lessons and reading at home enable this. Don’t forget that there are lots of ways to read – magazines, comics, recipes, street signs etc. We are also extremely fortunate to have access to Reading Eggs which we encourage children to access at home as much as possible.
– Our PE day will be on a Thursday. Please send your child to school in their full PE kit (making sure they have a cardigan/jumper to keep them warm as some of our lessons will be outdoors!
Thank you for your continued support!
The Year 1 team